Friday, September 18, 2009

blog award




“Try to remember
that to some extent
you’re just the typist.
A good typist listens.”

~ Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird


A surprising and splendid acknowledgment has come my way, and I am very grateful. For my part, blogging grew out of journaling, and for the past 3 years has paralleled my daily handwritten journals. For years, I’ve been maintaining a kind of tandem journal: fleeting thoughts jotted in pocketable notebooks in pencil, and larger tomes for developing thoughts as time permits in ink. Carnets and cahiers. The nickname for the little penciled jottings has been my “life in graphite,” La Vie Graphite. The words and themes- even the tools I am fortunate to use- are open-ended means. The real subject is this life’s voyage, the pilgrimage of trust.

The award requires that I post a presentation- and very happily involves a celebration of other writers whose work I respect. The presenter of my award is the esteemed Olivander, author of Collapsing World. And here is the Kreativ Bloggers award:


I am very pleased now to present this award to 7 creative bloggers.
First, here are the rules for the recipients:

1. Thank the person who nominated you for this award.
2. Copy the logo (above) and place it on your blog.
3. Link to the person who nominated you for this award.
4. List 7 things about yourself that people might find interesting. (see below)
5. Nominate 7 Kreativ Bloggers.
6. Post links to the 7 blogs you nominate.
7. Leave a comment on each of the blogs letting them know they have been nominated.


And here are the winning blogs:

Lissa: Scenes From a Slow-Moving Life - http://www.justwritingwords.com/
For poetry and poetic fiction, with imagery, with consistency and tenacity.

maxxgrl: Ottavox - http://ottavox.blogspot.com/
Encouragement for a new blog of personal expression and exploration.

Sarah Rachel: Lie Down and Sleep- http://liedownandsleep.blogspot.com/
For eloquent and candid narratives of a woman’s spiritual journey.

Br. Richard: A Capuchin Journey- http://acapuchinjourney.blogspot.com/
For his down-to-earth observations, poignancy, and humor.

Chris Routledge: Chris Routledge blog- http://chrisroutledge.co.uk/
A many-faceted and very well-presented blog- from a fellow Olympia typist!

Donald: Writing Cabin- http://writingcabin.blogspot.com/
For thoughtfully and subtly writing his journeys.

James Watterson: OlympiaMan’s Typecast - http://olympiaman1010.blogspot.com/
James also wields a couple of typewriters, and enthusiastically writes his musings.


To all of you: Congratulations!
Bon Courage et Bonne Écriture!



Finally, 7 random things:

1. I commute to work with the bicycle I’ve had since I was 16.
2. My career in the visual arts began when as an 8 year old I saw the Chagall production of The Magic Flute at the Met.
3. I taught Benedictine monks to sing in Hebrew.
4. On formal occasions I wear real bow ties.
5. I have been published as a photographer, an illustrator, a historian, a book conservator, and a philosopher.
6. My first language is French.
7. My favorite food in the world is steamed and spiced kasha.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this comes as a surprise because I don't even consider my self a good writer. Thanks! I like to thank my ....

Anne said...

Congratulations-this is well deserved, and I love the picture of the typewriter-that is creative!

lissa said...

congrats, reading your writing has always been a joy and I do consider much of what you write to be inspirational and sometimes spiritual, I could never put my thoughts together as well as you

I feel a bit sheepish among the other bloggers you have chosen, even now after two years of writing and three years of blogging

now if only I know how to ride a bicycle or speak French, I would have at least have some interesting things to say about myself

but I thank you just the same for your kind words and encouragement

James Watterson said...

Wow, Thank you Spec! It's funny that you commute on a bike to work. After I worked as a bicycle mechanic for a year I gave up the troubles and expense that come with driving to work. I have a car, just not out here in Texas. It sits waiting for me back in New England. Thanks for the Award!!!

Anonymous said...

OMG you made my day! We are definitely kindreds, I'm currently reading bird by bird, and your quote today is from Anne Lamott :)

CONGRATULATIONS! you deserve the recognition. Keep writing, typing, expressing, and inspiring.

John said...

Thank you for your vote of confidence. Thank you for the recognition. What we do -- each of us -- in our individual writing cabins can matter in the lives of people we barely know are reading us.

Blessings.

Chris Routledge said...

Just back from a camping trip to find this lovely award. Many thanks for it and for introducing me to six wonderful blogs. And congratulations to you too--a much deserved commendation.

Strikethru said...

Interesting facts about you! And congrats to the recipients of the award. Exposure to the wisdom of others is one advantage that the digital form has to offer us.