Monday, August 17, 2015

my type of town




“And each time I leave, Chicago is
Tuggin' my sleeve, Chicago is
The Wrigley Building, Chicago is
The Union Stockyard, Chicago is
One town that won't let you down
It's my kind of town!”


~ Sammy Cahn and Jimmy Van Heusen, My Kind of Town.
























Newberry Library.








Harold Washington Library (Chicago Public Library)
Yes, those are owls up there.












A memorable Fathers Day weekend game.
The Cubs pitcher went 2 for 3, and batted in a run;
so there, "DH rule."









Above: On the Mag Mile. Below: Chicago Public Library Archives.







Above: My favorite Chicago building, the Carbide and Carbon, Michigan Avenue.


Below: Century Pens, on South LaSalle.




















Below: Evening's writing, at the Artists Café,
412 South Michigan Avenue.










The Artists Café








View from the ferris wheel, Navy Pier.






Above: The view from the Art Institute of Chicago.
Below: Interstate 90, northern Indiana.








p o s t s c r i p t u m



Art Institute of Chicago





Nicholas de Largilliere: Self Portrait, 1725.
Notice the "porte-crayon" he's holding.






Above: Detail of painting by Henry Fuseli, from 1794.
Below: Exhibit about writing instruments.









Image above, and two below:
Chicago Cultural Center typography exhibit.













Gifts for sale, Daley Plaza, State Street










My Olympia Splendid holds forth, in the Windy City.





9 comments:

Johnny said...

Glad you're back! I love the sudden burst of pencil photos at the end of another great post. :)

Joe V said...

Wonderful post, I enjoyed your writing and images. And that Olympia Splendid looks like a great traveller's typer.

Sweeper of Dreams said...

Quite interesting! I needed a post like this about now; I've been living in Chicago long enough for this lens to get all scratched and beat up. Lost its magic just as it started to feel like home... so I, too, write about places from which I'm absent. Funny how that works.

(Did you see the storefront decorated completely with typewriters? Its a hipster store on Michigan near the water tower. I've never gone in, but often drool at the rusted beauties in the window.)

crofter said...

Great post. I have been wondering about you. Glad you are back!

Richard P said...

Great shots, you've made me nostalgic. (I lived in Chicago 1985-1992.)

The Carbide and Carbon is my favorite building too!

Anonymous said...

It's definitely got "Soul", and second only to Detroit inthat respect. :)

Bill M said...

Wonderful post. My how I do miss Dinkel's! Good to see Central Camera is still there too. If there is one city in the USA I enjoy visiting it is Chicago. Problem with it though is I never find enough time to stay and see and do all I want while there. It's about 15 years since I've spent any time there. I did take Mrs. on a drive around the city though 2 years ago when we were close enough to spend a day there.

lissa said...

gorgeous place, though it does remind of new york but strangely more beautiful. wouldn't might a visit there some day.

hope you are enjoying september.

summertime dreams said...

I haven't known anyone else who has appreciated the beauty of cities as I do. The difference between you and I is that you know the words to use to express this so articulately.